Seal Beach, CA
at Surf Search
Rapidly growing biotech company seeks a Director of Fermentation to lead fermentation based activities, from lab scale through full commercial scale bioreactors. This will in the development of microbial fermentation processes at the company's Seal Beach, CA site. The Director of Fermentation will will manage a team of fermentation associates to run 24/7 365 fermentation operations. This company offers excellent career growth opportunities and the ability to move up within the organization as the company grows. The Director of Fermentation will:
- Develop and manage full bioreactor fermentation processes, including set up, start up, proving processes, scaling process.
- Manage the performance and output of fermentation-based processes, including the first biocatalytic step in the complete process.
- Manage a team of fermentation associates to run 24/7 365 fermentation operations
- Develop and manage fermentation team members
- Develop process schedules and SOPs
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in microbiology
- 4+ years progressive experience in managing fermentation processing
- Experience and expertise in the aerobic fermentation of microorganisms at commercial scale (e.g., 75,000 liter vessels and above).
- Experience in the production of intracellular products from aerobic fermentation, with gas mass transfer know-how (e.g., dissolving gases into liquids to make them accessible to microorganisms for conversion).
- Bioreactor experience that includes start up, cleaning, proving processes, scaling processes, shut down
- An understanding of processes involved in early stage bio-process through commercialization
- Strong communications skills, oral, written and electronic
- Excellent analytical and statistical skills and a track record of accomplishment in managing multiple competing priorities
- An agile mindset and a willingness to work in a fluid and changing environment which will include both "hands on" work as well as team management
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong mentoring and leadership skills with the ability to develop high performing teams.