Senior Principal Controls Engineer
at Barton Group
The Barton Group is recruiting a lead controls engineering position for our client, an industry-leading automotive and defense manufacturer. Work within advanced engineering groups regarding development of control strategy for advanced vehicle control systems. Controls work encompasses control strategy development and verification for hybrid electric vehicles and components (motors, drives, engines, generators, energy storage cells etc.), autonomous vehicle systems, advanced suspensions, material handling and other auxiliary equipment for on-road and off-road applications.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
1. Plan and direct the technical aspects of advanced vehicle system controls research,
development, verification and validation, testing and production implementation.
2. Conduct independent research and development on new technologies and establish
requirements (resources, equipment, estimates, test plans, and milestones) according to the needs
of a project related to Autosar, open source tools, Internet of Things (IOT) and edge computing
and architecture virtualization.
3. Responsible for developing control strategies and implementation in a virtual simulation
environment using modeling tools (such as ADAMS, AMSIM, Vedyna and
Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow etc.) or hardware-in-the-loop simulators and transferring simulated
strategies to vehicle testing and eventual production implementation.
4. Work with internal and external (vendors, industry consortiums, or universities etc.) project
teams on advanced control development efforts independently with minimum supervision.
5. Lead or direct feasibility studies and project estimates (man power, budget development, and
timelines etc.) on proposed projects.
6. Lead or direct proposal development with regards to acquiring appropriate funding for various
advanced control development efforts.
7. Provide insight to engineering design teams and mentoring to low level engineers as needed
based on expertise.
Education and experience:
1. Bachelor's degree in Computer or Electrical Engineering and 10+ years related experience
2. Master’s degree in Computer or Electrical Engineering and 8+ years related experience or
3. Ph.D. degree in Computer or Electrical Engineering with 4 years related experience.
4. Automotive or heavy-duty vehicle background with vehicle control system experience.
5. In-depth work experience in automotive or heavy-duty vehicle CAN bus and architecture.
6. In-depth work experience in Mathworks, dSPACE or Vector tools and Autosar.
7. Work experience in electrical-electronics (E-E) system architecture design, real-time
operating system, Linux, and embedded virtualization preferred.
8. Embedded software development experiences using C/C++/C# or Python a plus
1. Have the essential controls education background and strong expertise with in-depth work-
2. Strong and efficient time management, communication and critical thinking skills.
3. Strong presentation skills and able to confidently interface internal or external customers with
4. Provide technical insight on the technical hurdles and troubleshooting guidelines
independently with clarity and assess the priorities based on business needs.
5. Identify the technical needs and resources and complete the tasks independently with
6. Strongly motivated in learning new technologies and skills in controls fields.